Sunday, December 18, 2011

Puppy Cookies

Wow! Sorry for the delay! Definitely a lot going on at the casa de S.T.E., but I have TONS of recipes ready to be blogged about!

This is one not quite meant for human consumption (although, I'm sure you could if you really wanted). I decided to do something a little different for Coco and make her a treat instead! Plus, I wanted to remember our neighbors pets in our holiday baskets this year.

I did a ton of research on what sorts of ingredients are best for puppies tummies. (Some of you are probably thinking--ummm our dogs clear our dinner plates...so what?!) There are tons of things dogs shouldn't eat, and even more ingredients found in food we eat everyday that can cause many dogs to get sick, or at least not feel well. One of those is gluten. I found a ton of websites that stated that many dogs have gluten allergies, or at least can't digest it well. Another is baking powder--apparently, it can be toxic to dogs.

With all that in mind, I created this recipe, thanks in part to the recipes found on dogtreatrecipes.orghere and here.

(Funny story about these pictures--I actually took the one on the right first. When I leaned down with the cookie, Coco immediately took it from me and I had to dig it out of her mouth just to get the proper picture on the left! Seriously, she's addicted.)

Bacon-Flavored Dog Cookies

1 c. brown rice flour
1/2 c. uncooked oats
1/2 c. water
1 egg
3 Tb. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tb. bacon drippings**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients. Add extra water if dough is too dry. Take about a tablespoon of the dough, roll into a small ball and then flatten for even baking. Bake for 15 minutes, turning half-way through. Feel free to adjust cooking time based on how crispy you want the cookies to be!

**You can add 2 Tb. of any flavoring you would like...I used bacon drippings, but you could do any other type of fried/sauteed meat, like sausage or ham, use chicken or beef stock, or save the oil from a can of tuna or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment