Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Coffee Cake in a Mug

My husband and I have been trying to eat healthy lately, so of course that means smaller portions for dinner. Since we're starving we usually eat early. Of course this means that around 7-ish, we want something else to eat. I decided to drive us to Dairy Queen because I know their hot fudge sundae is under 200 calories whip something up in the kitchen. So, I turned to Pinterest. I have several pins on Pinterest consisting of desserts in mugs.

Some are good.

Some are bad.

Some are disgusting.

This one, however, is pretty dang good.

My husband even approved, saying, "This one was actually good. Most of these kinds of recipes really suck." Good enough for me!

I made a few adjustments from the original recipe, courtesy of the ladies over at Prudent Baby.

My picture is not nearly as pretty and ethereal as theirs, but you get the idea. Plus, I mean, its cake in a mug. You don't have time to make that look pretty, when ya just tryin' to eat.

Coffee Cake in a Mug
adjusted slightly from Prudent Baby


Cake:
1 Tb. salted butter
2 Tb. sugar
1/2 egg (I made two cakes and split the egg between them)
2 Tb. buttermilk
1/8 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. baking powder

Crumble:
1 Tb. salted butter, softened
2 Tb. all-purpose flour
1 Tb. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Put butter into microwavable mug and microwave on high for approx. 10-15 seconds until softened. Mix in sugar until light and fluffy. Add in buttermilk and vanilla and stir until combined. Add in flour and baking powder and stir until combined.

In a separate ramekin, mix 1Tb. softened butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Take a fork and combine until you get a crumbled combination. Pour crumble on top of batter.

Place mug in microwave for 1 minute. You may need to add more time, but increase by 10 seconds at a time. I think I ended up cooking mine for 1 minute 30 seconds, but all microwaves are different!

Mug will be very hot, so use with caution!! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment